The facts about chipped teeth are quite startling. Annually, five-percent of adults suffer from a chipped tooth; that’s five out of every 100 people. This number doesn’t include injuries to minors, particularly those who still have their baby teeth.
There’s a diverse number of reasons you may suffer a chipped tooth, but if you find yourself in need of treatment, visit cosmetic dentistry near Houston, TX.
As with any medical issue, there are common and acute causes for the wearing down of your teeth’s enamel. Once penetrated, teeth run the risk of becoming sharp and jagged, potentially with pieces breaking off.
Common causes include:
- Aggressively biting down on hard substances
- Accidental falls
- Car, bike, or other vehicle-related accidents
- Injuries incurred from playing contact sports without the use of a protective mouth guard
- Teeth grinding during sleep
If you suspect you have a chipped tooth, call a cosmetic dental office in Houston, TX, immediately.
Weakened teeth continue to degrade over time, so if left untreated, a chipped tooth will begin to present oral issues. This can be a semi-invisible process, so pay attention and call a cosmetic dental office in Houston, TX, if you’re feeling symptoms like:
- feeling a jagged surface when you run your tongue over your teeth
- There’s one section of gum that is particularly irritable when you floss and brush around the chipped tooth.
- You notice a spot on your tongue that’s irritated without obvious cause. It’s possible your “catching” it on the tooth’s uneven and rough edge without even realizing it.
- You experience pain caused by putting pressure on the tooth when biting down. It can intense if the chip has degraded enough to be near the tooth’s nerve system.
There are two types of treatment for a chipped tooth, routine and emergency.
If you’re aware of the tooth, but not in enough distress to call for a crisis appointment, it’s routine.
- Call for the next available appointment with your dentist at the cosmetic dental office in Houston, TX.
- Request for a session long enough to smooth and polish the tooth to prevent further decay and chipping.
If you’re in an extreme amount of pain or a fragment of the tooth has fallen off, it’s an emergency. Call for an emergency appointment or go to the emergency department at your closest hospital to receive acute care until the dentist can fit you in. Once in the dentist’s chair your options might include:
- Tooth Reattachment
- Porcelain Veneer
- Dental Onlays
Your doctor will assess the situation and make the appropriate recommendation. You’ll get all the info about each procedure before having to make any final decisions.
The recovery for a chipped tooth is typically routine. Proactive diagnosis and quick action can ensure this. If, however, you find yourself in an emergency dental surgery, you can still expect to recover within a few days.
Don’t let a chipped tooth linger. Call cosmetic dentistry near Houston, TX, today and take control of your oral health before it takes control of you.